Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Liard Hot Springs

The woeful tale of Tippy Tumbles and her unfortunate barefooted sweetheart…

After we forced ourselves to sleep under the midnight sun, we awoke to every camper’s nightmare, rain. However, it didn’t take long for our dear friend the sun to come out and make Liard Hotsprings brighten up.
Fiona began her day by taking photographs while I soaked my “aged” bones in the glorious springs. It wasn’t long before the boss decided that a warm swim in the upper pools was in order. I finished my chapter and began the looong walk up to join her. The arduous trek was mired by a most unfortunate event. With towel and books in one hand and my sandals in the other I started out on the faithful journey. Why get my sandals wet when bare feet would certainly suffice? The answer to that lies in ones perceived natural ability to walk without falling. Weighed down by ALL our gear, I made an ill placed step, twisting my back as I gracefully struck the cold, wet ground. But still I pressed on! When I arrived at my destination, with my stiffened back, to meet my caring nurse, I was promptly diagnosed. “Stumbles are common with the elderly… it is one of their many struggles.” Interesting…
We spent most of the morning swimming around and enjoyed the afternoon sun by taking photos. Now here my friends is where we learn that all these jokes about age and stumbling come back to bite our friend the nurse worse than the giant northern B.C. mosquitoes. Old Eagle Eyes Howarth spotted a woodpecker frolicking in the trees above and provided him/her with dialogue. “I’m,” taking the voice of the sturdy beaked bird, “going to peck the shit of that tree.” Perhaps not one of her wiser musings, but certainly there was nothing wrong with it. The problem is that when walking on a raised boardwalk, it is important to watch where you are going.
WHOMP!
Down went Tippy Tumbles after walking directly off the wooden pathway! No injuries to report, but one could certainly hear the woodpecker laughing in the distance.
If you ever get the chance to come to Liard Hot Springs, I highly recommend it. It is spectacular!

Wildlife: One mother moose, one baby moose, a marmot (or porcupine if you are less intellectually inclined), one pesky squirrel, a million and one bugs, and a whole gang of children from Bountiful!
KMS: ZERO!

















1 comment:

  1. If I recall correctly, Fiona has had trouble staying afoot of the wooden boardwalks before.

    ReplyDelete