Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fort St. John to Fort Nelson

So what happened today? The answer to that is not a whole lot so let us go back to yesterday for a moment. When we left off yesterday Devon and I were about to head out to view a delightful movie entitled The Killers. Like the champions we are we accomplished this and made our way merrily back to the campsite to enjoy a dinner consisting of pasta and pre-packaged sauce, another of Devon’s culinary masterpieces. Now let me describe the camping sites. There were sites numbered from1a-8a all of which were empty except for 4a which we and our already set up tent were inhabiting. Upon pulling in we noticed 8 bikes and an equal number of new tents encircling our own. Now I may be wrong in this assumption but when one books a site and pays for it one doesn’t expect to share it with two other bikers and their bikes parked directly next to our tent. To top it off they also took our table and all of the other tables around. Neither Devon nor I wanted to pick a fight with 8 bikers so we mulled in angry silence until the next morning. Now we put up with the guy next to us snoring all night and the intrusion into our personal space but at 6:10am when they decided to have a pow wow around our tent I had had enough and this is when nursing assertiveness took effect. I thrust my sleep tosseled head out of the tent and said in my most angry/manly voice, “Excuse me, I am trying to sleep please be quiet.” This seemed to do the trick and they were contrite until they had the last laugh an hour later by starting their bikes up next to the tent. Well that was last night.
Today we drove and admired the scenery which was quite impressive. We left the Peace River District and moved into the northern Rockies. And the best part is we passed those bikers on the road and gave them an angry look. I believe they learned their lesson. We arrived in Fort Nelson and discovered that here they specialize in expensive gas. But the best part is I picked the best hotel in town. So much better then camping this hotel has free movie rentals and a Jacuzzi tub in the living room with a view of the TV and fireplace although it is much too warm for a fire. Bliss! Tomorrow we move onto Liard Hot Springs for two nights of camping and no internet. But the hot springs look stunning I can’t wait!

Animal sightings- two deer, one very dead moose
Casualties- none by me
Kms travelled today- 421

Alaska Highway






Devon and his new hair!


2 comments:

  1. The days with no wifi really suck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Bikers learned their lesson? That must have been quite the look!

    ReplyDelete